FAQ: After you apply

FAQ: After you apply

After applying for a certificate of conduct Justis consults the Criminal Records System (JDS). The Criminal Records System contains data relating to criminal offences and their outcomes, ranging from custodial sentences to payment in lieu of prosecution or the dropping of charges. Justis may also consult police files and ask the Public Prosecution Service and the probation service for information. All such information is studied and evaluated as a whole.

  • If it emerges from the investigation that you have no criminal record, the certificate will be issued. If you do, the authorities decide whether the offences in question are relevant to your application. Offences that would present difficulties for someone wanting a teaching job, for example, may not be relevant to an accountant. The screening profiles and assessments are laid down in policy rules. Applicants can estimate their prospects of obtaining a certificate in advance by consulting the screening profiles, as can employers in order to check what requirements they may impose on applicants.

  • Justis decides, on behalf of the Dutch State Secretary for Security and Justice, whether you will be issued with a certificate of conduct or not.

  • A decision will be taken within four to eight weeks of receipt of your application. Please contact Justis if you have any queries regarding the progress of your application.

  • If Justis intends to refuse your Certificate of Conduct, you will first receive written intention stating the reasons for refusal. You are allowed to let Justis know your view with regard to the reasons for refusal. If you wish to inspect your criminal record, you should write to the Central Criminal Records Office (JustitiĆ«le Informatiedienst, Postbus 337, 7600 AH Almelo), enclosing a copy of your identity document. A fee is payable for this service. You can also see your criminal record at the nearest district court (rechtbank) but you are not allowed to make copies.

  • If your application for a certificate of conduct is refused, you can object in accordance with the General Administrative Law Act (Algemene wet bestuursrecht). The publication entitled 'Bezwaar en beroep tegen een beslissing van de overheid (Objection to and review of government decisions) provides more detailed information in Dutch language.